May is Asthma & Allergy Awareness Month! With the weather warming up, seasonal allergies are hitting a lot of us. As some of you may know our pets can suffer from allergies too! Below are a few key points about allergies in pets.
- Environmental allergies are more common than food allergies in dogs.
- Food allergies and environmental allergies are equally as common in cats.
- Allergies are lifelong condition.
- Allergies can range from some scratching here and there, to intense scratching the affects both you and your pet’s quality of life.
- Itching is the most common sign of allergies. The feet, face, neck, ears, front legs, and abdomen are typically affected areas.
- Intense scratching can cause scabbing, redness, ear infections, wounds, and hair loss
- Your pets Veterinarian will look at your pets age, breed, symptoms, and health history to determine an allergy diagnosis.
- Allergy testing can help identify allergens (does not diagnose allergies) and can help your vet formulate a treatment plan.
- Food allergies are diagnosed by a food trial, where you and your veterinarian develop a limited food plan over the course of 3 months.
- If you have concerns about allergies in your pet, give us a call and we will set up an appointment!
Leave A Comment